Friday, May 27, 2016

Looking for Opportunity

Oil above $50 a barrel as summer driving season begins
I found this information on google news. The heading itself led me to believe that there is an opportunity here when it comes to oil. More than $50 a barrel means higher gas prices. This is the highest cost of oil in almost a year. With summer coming, it is expected for people to drive a lot more. People enjoy taking summer vacations or just going back and forth to the beach. I believe that this opportunity affects all of those who drive. It is possible to even affect those who don’t. If gas prices rise again it is possible for the cost of public transportation to rise as well. I think that this is a relatively easy opportunity to exploit. This is something that most everyone thinks about. I hate getting gas but I need it if I want to drive anywhere, I believe others would agree.
I think I saw this opportunity because I am someone who buys gas on a regular basis. I am very aware when prices increase. Gas prices greatly affect how much I am willing to drive. If it goes back up to the ridiculous $4 a gallon, then I will think twice before heading to the beach every weekend.

Global economic crisis tied to thousands of cancer deaths.
I found this information on CBSnews.com. This is something that is very concerning. It is believed that with the crash of the economy and lack of jobs cancer deaths were on the rise. This even includes treatable cancers. Studies show that in countries where there is universal health care, these deaths were a lot less. I think this really affects everyone who has the responsibilities of families, bills, and debt in this country. Without jobs there is no money. Without money you can’t take care of your responsibilities. This could become too much for someone to take and can weak their body which could lead to cancer. I think this one might be a little more challenging to exploit than oil and gas prices. Some people may think this wouldn’t affect them. They could also not believe that there is a link between the economy and stress.

I saw this as an opportunity because I live in this country and I have responsibilities. I need my job to service. If something were to happen to my steady income, it would be very stressful. Stress can greatly affect ones health.

Credit card fraud
I found this information on businessdailynews.com. I found this as needed change due to so much theft and stolen banking information. In 2015 credit cards started being issued with chips for extra security. Now most all businesses have the debit/credit cards machines that require you to insert your credits card so that the chips can be read. This regulation change to credit cards really affects everyone who uses credit and debit cards. It also affects banks, credit unions, and credit card companies. 
I saw this as an opportunity because I personally use my debit card on a regular basis. While sometimes it is a pain to take the extra step of being required to insert the card, i know that it for my own security. My credit card information was stolen last year and I had to get a new one issued. I was lucky that not much was stolen and that my bank protected me. I think the security of the chips a great regulation change.

Retirement plans
I found this information on businessdailynews.com. There is a possibility that in the summer changes will be made to retirement plans. The Department of Labor may start requiring business to not provide 401k or any other retirement plans. While this does not affect me immediately at this time, in the future if I change careers it might. This affects anyone who plans on one day retiring. A retirement plan is needed. I think that this opportunity would be easy to exploit. Anyone who cares about their future would agree that retirement plan options are important. 
I saw this as an opportunity because I personally value my retirement plan. I feel that this is something that businesses should provide to their employees. Individuals should have retirement to rely on when they reach an age where they are no longer able to work.  

4 comments:

  1. Gas prices are truly great compared to the $4 mark a couple of years ago, but I actually remember when the price for a gallon of gas hit $1- back in the 1970's and the parking lots that were formed waiting to fill up, because of the OPEC oil embargo!!!
    And Saving for retirement is always a good idea. The younger you are when you start -the better. Don't wait! Start your plans now, it's costs less to put something away now as opposed to when you are 40 or older. I have seen my parents and grandparents struggle for the basics because they did not save for the future. Social Security, if it's still around when you retire, will not cover all your needs. Especially when you consider the rates that the cost of living continues to climb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa! Thanks for sharing,

    I found your first article about gas prices particularly interesting. I also spend a lot of time driving like yourself and when you only play the role of the consumer, you don't realize that some people are benefiting from the rise of gas prices and oil. Public transportation is a great point that you made as well, and is not something that is obvious but will definitely be affected.
    I also agree with your points on the retirement plan. I also am not at the age where I put much thought into it, but it is something that most everyone needs making it easier to exploit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here is my blog post for the same assignment http://mysummerentblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/looking-for-opportunity.html

      Delete
  3. Lisa,

    Ah yes, now that summer is upon us gas prices will indeed be rising. A lot more factors are at play here, including the global market for oil, the suppliers of oil, and sanctions against certain oil-drilling countries. It's interesting that people are speculating a link between cancer and the economy. Its a stretch but it could be possible that when it becomes harder to find a job, people start to stress, which may lead to a weakened immune system. I don't exactly know why chip readers are safer. I agree that retirement plans are necessary for people to be able to work towards retirement. Whether companies themselves should be required to provide them or not is a different story. There are some companies that still do, but far more do not, and instead just offer you 401k's and the like. Check out my blog post:

    https://ent3003blog.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/looking-for-opportunity/

    ReplyDelete