Saturday, May 28, 2016

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

Hypothesis: Individuals in the workplace are limited on healthy food snacks due to vending machines only offer unhealthy snack options. 

  • The who: Individuals in the workplace
  • The what: limited on healthy food snacks
  • The why: vending machines only offer unhealthy snack options.

  • Testing the who: Who has this need? Only those in the workplace or everyone?  
  • Testing the what: What other options should be available? Do all workplaces have this unmet need? What time of other places would have this need?
  • Testing the why: Why is junk food the only option in vending machines? Do you believe that the lack of healthy snacks affects peoples mood and weight?

After interviewing 5 people on this topic, I realized that I learned a lot from them. I learned that some companies actually do have refrigerated vending machines. This finds actually surprised me because I was not aware that vending machine companies offered refrigerated machines for food. These vending machines don't offer the healthiest of option but the options are still better than candy bars and chips. I also learned that some people see vending machines as a privilege that is offered because the company they work for is nice enough to provide it. We should not complain about the options since the organization is not required to have a vending machine at all. Although they see it this way they did agree that it would be nice to have other options such as granola bars or fruit. Some people are actually pretty satisfied with chocolate and the chips. It is unmet need for some more than others.

9 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    As much as I would also like to see more of these healthier choices available in vending machines, I think the problem with some of the fruit or vegetable options is the freshness- life of the product. If it doesn't move fast enough from the vending machine, it goes bad and is then wasted. The cost is too high for constant replenishment of foods that are left to waste. Even the grocery stores need to constantly "cull" through the produce sections constantly. Part of the reason you see so many vending machines with "junk" food is that the lifespan, thanks to preservatives, is much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa!

    I loved your opportunity for this assignment. I think we are lucky to go to a university that also has vending machines with healthier options. I think bigger companies such as Apple, Disney, Google, etc will be making, if they haven't already, the transition to healthier vending options. It will be the smaller companies that may delay or ignore the shift towards healthier options because they don't have the resources to implement these changes with the snap of a finger like bigger companies have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is my blog post on the same assignment
      http://mysummerentblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/testing-hypothesis-part-1.html

      Delete
  3. Lisa,
    I like your idea a lot. I think this is something that has the potential to be successful, you would just have to address the issue of keeping the food fresh. It's not impossible, but it might be challenging. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa,

    The idea is a very nice idea. I would love for there to be healthier options in vending machines. I tend to get hungry in the middle of the night and the dorm area does not have many options for me to get food at that point. The only food available at 4 am is the vending machines nearby. However, I always feel bad about buying the chips because I know it is awful for me. If you can find a way to deal with keeping the food fresh, I think it will do great. http://jrscottratt.blogspot.com/2016/05/testing-hypothesis-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,

    You can probably extend your "who" to include people other than just workpeople. A lot of students on campus, for example, find it hard to find healthy snack alternatives in the vending machine when they're pressed on time and can't go out for an actual meal. Check out my blog:

    https://ent3003blog.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/testing-the-hypothesis-part-1/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,

    I really like your idea. This issue of obesity in the US is prevalent today and regulations need to change to provide a more healthy array of food to people. I noticed concerns on keeping the healthy food fresh, but I also know of many healthy snacks that have sufficient shelf lives.

    I have seen some vending machines with protein bars as an option, but other healthy products are usually not with it. Thanks for sharing and check out my blog!

    http://uf-ent3003.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete


  7. Hey Lisa,

    I like your idea a lot as I think it is really relevant to many workplaces. Personally, I work at Library West although there are vending machines, the Starbucks does offer some healthier food alternatives. I think the issue with these options is that it is more cost ineffective to seek healthier alternatives as you have to take into account cost, expiration dates, are foods that require refrigeration. Most vending machines I have seen do offer some type of granola alternative. Also these foods tend to be dry foods as they tend to last longer. Nice idea I hope you continue to develop your hypothesis. Check my blog out at
    http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/2016/05/looking-for-opportunity.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lisa,

    I like your thought process regarding this issue. I definitely agree that workplaces need more healthy options. I think our country as a whole vastly underestimates how important eating healthy is to staying healthy. It is a common misconception that it's all about exercise and working out, while in reality your diet is more important than anything else. I think healthier snack options for people at work in the right track for a healthier country! Here is my blog: http://jaredpape.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete