Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Celebrating Failure

The first thing that comes to mind when talking about failure is when I failed to properly communicate at work recently. I was assigned to train someone on a procedure for certain tasks that need to be processed. I've been the only one working on these tasks for about a year now. I could do this process in my sleep so I assumed that it would be fairly easy to train someone on how to also work them. I was wrong. The person who I was training was not comprehending what I was telling them. They did not grasp the quick and easy steps that I was telling them to take. It was frustrating. I was failing to properly communicate to this person. I would repeat myself over and over again but that didn't seem to matter. I was failing to complete my task of training a new person.  
From this experience I learned that I am not a teacher. I do not have the patience for it. I also learned that sometimes just because we learn something one way does not mean that someone else will learn it the same way. Everyone learns in different ways. I'm a visual learner. I need to be shown an example. Others are okay with just reading or hearing it. Also, I learned that when one approach doesn't work you try another, and another, until finally you succeed. 
Failure is definitely hard. I don't like it. I've learned that when I fail at something I have to take a step back and regroup. When I fail, I get very frustrated and discouraged. I'll admit that I whine a little bit. I feel like giving up. I have to take a break and let it go for a while and then re-approach it. After that I am usually okay. Since taking this class I wouldn't say that I am more likely to take a risk. I would say that I am more used to being out of my comfort zone now than before this class. I've learned a lot about the risks that entrepreneurs have to take in attempt to be successful and stay that way.
 Image result for failure

No comments:

Post a Comment