My name is Lisa Register and I wouldn't say that I have many talents. I enjoy attempting to be crafty but I am not very talented at creating things. Most of experience is in customer service. I've worked in retail, I've been a waitress, and I've worked in a call center. I know the importance of good customer service. That is why my aspiration for The Better Choices vending machine is to take over and replace the current vending machines. I want The Better Choices vending machines to be everywhere, schools, hospitals, amusement parks, workplaces, etc.. I think that if I were to start this business it would be a huge part of my life. I would work hard to make sure my vending machines replaced the unhealthy vending machine we currently have everywhere.
The Better Choices vending machine is offering people who are in everyday life healthy fulfilling snacks. Whether you are at work, school, the hospital you are more than likely going to need some sort of sustenance to get you through the day. The Better Choice vending machine isn't going to offer energy drinks and candy bars so that you can crash and be lethargic. It is going to offer nuts, granola bars, protein packs, Gatorade, and so much more. This is real food that will provide natural energy, not a sugar high. The Better Choices vending machine meet customers need of having access to nutritional snacks instead of junk food.
My machine is for the working, studying, everyday person who might need a power boost to help them get through their day until they are able to get a full meal. I think that my customers all have in common the need to be able to access healthy options regardless of where they are. My customer is a college student who is stuck on campus for hours at a time studying and going to classes. My customer is someone who is at work all day staring at a computer. My customer is some one who has been waiting in the emergency room four hours. My customer is anyone and everyone, maybe not everyone all the time but everyone at some point.
My customers all in common the desire to be healthy and they don't want to feel like they are wasting their money. With the vending machines currently offering, chips, coke, and candy bars, it's a waste of money. People who eat those things will just get a sugar high then crash and be more tired than they were before. The options are unhealthy and they really are a waste of money. My customers are just everyday people who need a snack that will get them through their day while between meals. They are at work or school or just on the go. They are all trying to be mindful of what they are eating and spending their money on.
The customers care because they, like so many others, want to be healthy and wise. People care because they want to get something that will be good for them and won't leave them hungry again in no time. My customers also care because they want to spend their money on something good for them not junk. Individuals are at work and school all day long. Whether it elementary, middle, high school or college students need fuel for their brains to help them focus. People at work need a boost just to help them get through the day.
What sets me apart from so many others is the fact that I have this need just like everyone else. I am not starting this just to make money. I am starting this because I want healthier options, I want this change. This change is for the greater good. So many people are already so unhealthy, why have junk be the only option available. It's hard to say what I have that nobody else has. I deal with this problem almost everyday. I need something good to eat if I forgot snacks at home and there is just nothing in the vending machines. I feel that obesity is a serious problem in our country. Obesity is starting to affect people younger and younger. I want schools to offer protein, healthy sugars that are in fruit, water, just all around things that will teach children healthier habits. I guess what sets me apart is that I care about others and their health.
I believe that all five points are intertwined. Who we are helps us figure out what we want or what we are passionate about. Our customers are important to us as they are vital in making our idea successful. What being offered is extremely important. If we are offering something no one wants then it really doesn't matter and will not be successful. We want our customer to care. We want them to invest in our idea, Being different from competition will help the idea be successful. What sets you apart will help bring the product to life. So these are all a connected part of innovating a new idea or product.
I received very positive feedback. One point that I took away from the feedback is that everyone agrees that this is something that needed. Also this is something that is needed in school. Junk food needs to be taken out of schools and replaced with healthier options. Refrigeration being included within the machine might be something to be considered. This would help provide sandwiches or help extend the life of food. Obesity is a problem in this country which is why this a good idea to have in organizations. Healthier living is becoming a way of life for people. I incorporated these points into my idea by making it a point for the vending machines to be in all schools. If we can help teach the importance of healthy living at an early age maybe we can help reduce obesity. It would also help create healthy mentality and boost brain functionality.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteGood structure and lots of well thought out detail. Someone pointed out on my 1st idea napkin that I gave too much info for the size of the napkin. I like the full dinner size napkin as opposed to the cocktail napkin! Sometimes the more detail gives a much clearer picture to the idea.
Good luck
Hey Lisa,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your blog post, I agree completely with you on your idea! I can't believe that in this day of age no vending machine has made the initiative to implement this idea. Many places governmental places such as schools, hospitals, dmvs, and all that have vending machines with unhealthy choices. This in essence kind of limits an employee or outside person to make unhealthy food choices. Although I have seen some healthier vending machines around, the amount of unhealthy vending machines vastly out populates them. I like that you think early childhood development should focus on the idea of living healthy lifestyles. This is a huge way other countries have fewer obese people as they are educated on what is healthy and what is not. Great job! Check out my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/
Regards,
Juan Parra
Hey Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI have been with your idea since the beginning and I am definitely still a huge fan. I think everything you said is reasonable and makes sense. This country needs people coming up with more products like this. The best part about it is that it just gives people more options. Sometimes, or most of the time, people might still get something unhealthy, but even an occasional healthy snack is an improvement. I can't wait to see where you continue to go with your idea, it seems great to me! Here is my blog: jaredpape.blogspot.com